Loooking for the Best Milling Chainsaw? If you’re a woodworking enthusiast or someone who loves to create their own lumber, you know the importance of having the right chainsaw for milling. Chainsaw milling allows you to turn logs into usable boards, giving you the freedom to create beautiful furniture, structures, and more. But with so many options on the market, how do you choose the best milling chainsaw? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the top chainsaws for milling and help you make an informed decision.
Understanding Chainsaw Milling and Its Requirements
Before we dive into the best chainsaws for milling, it’s important to understand the requirements of chainsaw milling. Chainsaw milling is a high-powered operation that demands a powerful saw with a displacement of more than 90cc. While smaller logs can be cut using lower-powered saws, they require more attention and are prone to overheating. So, if you want to achieve efficient and smooth milling, it’s best to opt for a larger chainsaw.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Chainsaw for Milling
When selecting the best chainsaw for milling, there are several factors to consider. These factors will help you determine the right size, power, and features that suit your milling needs. Let’s take a closer look at each of these factors:
Engine Power and Displacement
One of the most critical factors to consider is the engine power and displacement of the chainsaw. As mentioned earlier, chainsaw milling requires a large engine with a displacement of at least 90cc. The higher the displacement, the more power the chainsaw will have to effortlessly cut through logs. Look for a chainsaw with a powerful engine to ensure efficient and smooth milling.
The bar size of a chainsaw determines the maximum diameter of logs it can handle. For milling purposes, you’ll need a chainsaw with a longer bar size to accommodate larger logs. The most commonly used bar sizes for milling range from 16 inches to 24 inches. However, it’s essential to note that some chainsaw mills may limit the size of the bar that can be mounted. Consider the size of the logs you’ll be working with and choose a chainsaw with a suitable bar size.
Durability and Build Quality
Since chainsaw milling can be a demanding task, it’s crucial to invest in a chainsaw that is built to withstand the rigors of milling. Look for a chainsaw made from high-quality materials and designed to be durable. A sturdy build will ensure that your chainsaw can handle the workload and last for a long time.
Operating a chainsaw for milling can be challenging, especially for beginners. Therefore, it’s beneficial to choose a chainsaw with user-friendly features that make the milling process easier and safer. Look for features such as anti-vibration technology, ergonomic handles, and easy-start systems. These features will enhance your comfort and control while using the chainsaw.
Price and Budget
Like any other purchase, your budget plays a significant role in determining the chainsaw you can afford. Chainsaws for milling can range in price, depending on their features and brand. Set a budget and look for a chainsaw that offers the best combination of quality and features within your price range.
The Best Milling Chainsaw
Now that you know the important factors to consider when choosing a chainsaw for milling, let’s explore some of the best options available on the market. We’ve selected these chainsaws based on their power, durability, user-friendliness, and overall performance in milling applications.
If you need a chainsaw that can handle heavy-duty cutting jobs, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher® is the perfect choice.
- The X-TORQ® engine delivers superior performance, increased fuel efficiency, and low emissions.
- The LowVib® technology reduces vibrations, making it comfortable to use, even in demanding conditions.
- The air injection technology expels larger dust and debris particles before they reach the quick-release air filter to help improve engine life.
- The chainsaw is on the heavier side, making it difficult to use for extended periods.
- The chainsaw is quite loud and may disturb neighbors.
- The chainsaw requires regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly.
We recently used the Husqvarna 455 Rancher® to cut down several trees on our property, and we were impressed with its performance. The X-TORQ® engine provided plenty of power to cut through even the thickest branches, and the LowVib® technology made it easy to use for long periods without experiencing fatigue.
One of the features we appreciated most was the air injection technology, which helped to keep the engine running smoothly and efficiently. We also found the chainsaw easy to start, thanks to the variety of easy starting features, including Smart Start technology, air purge, and decompression valve.
While we loved using the Husqvarna 455 Rancher®, we did find it to be on the heavier side, which made it difficult to use for extended periods. Additionally, the chainsaw is quite loud, which may disturb neighbors if you’re using it in a residential area. Finally, the chainsaw requires regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly, so be prepared to invest some time and effort into keeping it in top condition.
Overall, we highly recommend the Husqvarna 455 Rancher® for anyone who needs a powerful chainsaw that can handle heavy-duty cutting jobs. With its superior performance, ease of use, and advanced features, it’s the perfect choice for tree pruning, yard cleanups, and firewood cutting.
If you’re looking for a powerful chainsaw that’s easy to start and operate, the Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw is a great option.
- The OxyPower engine technology provides more power with lower emissions and fuel consumption.
- The effortless pull starting system reduces pull force by 30% for easier starting and less wear on the starter mechanism.
- The integrated combi tool in the rear handle is always there when you need it for maintenance.
- The chainsaw can be heavy and tiring to use for extended periods of time.
- Some users have reported issues with oil leaks and power loss under load.
- The chainsaw may require more maintenance than other models.
In our experience, the Poulan Pro chainsaw is a reliable and powerful tool for milling. The OxyPower engine technology delivers impressive power while reducing emissions and fuel consumption. The effortless pull starting system makes it easy to start and reduces wear on the starter mechanism, which is a nice touch. We also appreciate the integrated combi tool in the rear handle, which is always there when you need it for maintenance.
However, the chainsaw can be heavy and tiring to use for extended periods of time, so it may not be the best choice if you’re planning to do a lot of milling. Additionally, some users have reported issues with oil leaks and power loss under load, which is something to keep in mind. Finally, the chainsaw may require more maintenance than other models, so be prepared to spend some time keeping it in good condition.
Overall, we would recommend the Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw for anyone looking for a powerful and reliable tool for milling. Just be aware of its weight and maintenance requirements before making your purchase.
If you are looking for a powerful chainsaw for milling, then Echo Chain Saw, Gas, 20 in. Bar, 59.8cc is an excellent choice.
- The 2-stroke, professional-grade motor of this chainsaw delivers outstanding power, making it easy to cut a variety of hard and soft woods.
- The clutch-driven, automatic oiler system keeps the bar lubricated while reducing oil consumption for economical operation.
- The 20-inch bar allows greater cutting depth for tackling larger logs.
- The chainsaw is quite heavy, which can make it difficult to handle for some users.
- The starting process can be a bit tricky, especially for those who are not familiar with chainsaws.
- The chainsaw is quite loud, which can be a bit inconvenient if you are working in a residential area.
We recently had the chance to use the Echo Chain Saw, Gas, 20 in. Bar, 59.8cc for milling some logs, and we were impressed with its performance. The chainsaw is incredibly powerful and can cut through even the toughest woods with ease. The clutch-driven, automatic oiler system is a great feature that keeps the bar lubricated, reducing oil consumption and making the chainsaw more economical to operate.
One thing to keep in mind is that the chainsaw is quite heavy, which can make it difficult to handle for some users. The starting process can also be a bit tricky, especially for those who are not familiar with chainsaws. However, once you get the hang of it, starting the chainsaw becomes much easier.
Another thing to note is that the chainsaw is quite loud, which can be a bit inconvenient if you are working in a residential area. However, if you are working in a more remote location, this should not be much of an issue.
Overall, we would highly recommend the Echo Chain Saw, Gas, 20 in. Bar, 59.8cc to anyone looking for a powerful chainsaw for milling. It is a bit heavy and loud, but its outstanding power and clutch-driven, automatic oiler system make it an excellent choice for cutting a variety of hard and soft woods.
We highly recommend the Supmix Gas Chainsaw for anyone looking for a powerful and reliable tool for milling.
- The 62CC engine provides impressive power and speed, making it easy to cut through even the hardest wood.
- Equipped with a safety switch and quick-stop chain brake, this chainsaw is designed with safety in mind.
- The automatic oil system helps reduce fuel consumption by 20%, making it an environmentally friendly choice.
- It can be difficult to fit the sprocket properly, so make sure to use a wrench to turn the chain before starting the chainsaw.
- There is no case available for the chainsaw, which can make it difficult to transport.
- The chainsaw may have trouble staying idling after initial start-up.
We were impressed with the Supmix Gas Chainsaw’s ability to handle tough jobs with ease. The 20-inch bar and low-kickback chain made it easy to cut through even the thickest wood. The safety switch and quick-stop chain brake provided added peace of mind while using the chainsaw.
While the sprocket can be difficult to fit, taking the time to turn the chain with a wrench before starting the chainsaw can help ensure it is properly fitted. Additionally, the lack of a case can make it difficult to transport the chainsaw, but this is a minor issue compared to its overall performance.
Overall, we believe the Supmix Gas Chainsaw is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a powerful and reliable chainsaw for milling.
If you’re looking for a powerful chainsaw that can handle the toughest wood, the Supmix Gas Chainsaw is a great choice.
- The 62CC engine provides plenty of power and speed, making it easy to cut through even the hardest wood.
- The safety switch and quick-stop chain brake make it easy to use the chainsaw safely.
- The automatic oil system helps reduce fuel consumption by 20%, making it more environmentally friendly.
- It may be too heavy for some users to handle comfortably.
- Some users have reported issues with the chain coming loose during use.
- The chainsaw may be louder than some users expect.
We recently had the opportunity to test out the Supmix Gas Chainsaw, and we were impressed with its power and cutting ability. The 62CC engine makes it easy to cut through even the toughest wood, and the 20-inch bar and low-kickback chain help make the process quick and easy.
One thing we appreciated about this chainsaw was its safety features. The safety switch and quick-stop chain brake make it easy to use the chainsaw safely, even for those who are new to using a chainsaw.
The automatic oil system is another nice feature that helps reduce fuel consumption by 20%, making it more environmentally friendly. We also appreciated the high-quality chain and high-hardness bar, which help make the chainsaw more durable and long-lasting.
While the chainsaw is powerful, it may be too heavy for some users to handle comfortably. Additionally, some users have reported issues with the chain coming loose during use. Finally, the chainsaw may be louder than some users expect.
Overall, we think the Supmix Gas Chainsaw is a great choice for anyone who needs a powerful chainsaw that can handle tough wood. Its safety features and automatic oil system make it easy to use and more environmentally friendly.
Conclusion – Best Milling Chainsaw
Choosing the best chainsaw for milling is a crucial decision that can greatly impact the quality and efficiency of your woodworking projects. By considering factors such as engine power, bar size, durability, user-friendly features, and your budget, you can find the perfect chainsaw for your milling needs. Explore the options we’ve provided and select a chainsaw that will help you achieve exceptional results in your milling endeavors. Happy milling!
Additional Information: It’s important to note that chainsaw milling can be a dangerous activity, and proper safety precautions should always be followed. Make sure to wear appropriate safety gear, such as chainsaw chaps, gloves, and eye protection. Additionally, take the time to familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines for operating the chainsaw safely.